In Case You Missed It
The world’s moving pretty fast these days, huh? Big moments create tens of thousands of tweets a minute, and that’s just on one subject! Makes it pretty hard to catch all the good stuff, right? (Thanks, TV informercial man.)
That’s just a cheesy intro to this, a list of some of the favorite things I’ve written the past few years. Some are funny, some are serious, but all are me, and that’s something I’m fairly proud of. When I write, I get very self-conscious. I hate watching someone read my words. I study every eyebrow shift, mouth movement and any other body language that might clue me in on the reader’s thoughts. Usually, my guesses are completely wrong. Well… let me say that again. Always, my guesses as to how someone likes what I wrote are always wrong.
So instead of asking you what you liked and then prejudging your opinions, I’ve picked my own.
1. Beyond Those Trees - A man retells a story from his childhood. What once was fiction is something he now finds much more complicated.
2. She & Him - Remember that time I tried to start a website? This was on it, and also is the first true piece of serious fiction I ever published. (If you have time, read as many of the pieces on The Ten Three as you can. Take note of the authors and photographers - many are already making waves.)
3. Review: Fast Five - I had to stick one of my movie reviews in here, and this one made for excellent source material.
4. Meko - This is a bit of a long read, but I’ve heard it has the ability to make people cry. It’s a true story more than eight years in the making.
5. Life’s hits and misses all part of growing up - It’s a recently published piece - even though I wrote it back in June - but I think it sums up the last few years in a simple manner. I’ve been able to learn a lot, meet a lot of awesome people, and grow, so that’s always a pretty cool feeling.
I hope you enjoyed the list, and thanks for supporting me, even if I hate letting you read what I wrote while I’m sitting in the room.